Dr Oz: Coconut Palm Sugar
Dr Oz gave us a list of the Healthiest Fast Food Burgers, but what if having a sweet tooth is your biggest issue? Do you love sugar but not the pounds it packs onto your frame? Then this is definitely something to save on your Pinterest board! On today’s show, Doctor Oz showed you coconut palm sugar, one of the best sugar alternatives to help you curb your appetite and help you lose weight. This tropical all-natural sweetener is great for sweetening your coffee or tea and is even a great sugar substitute for baking.
Sharon, an audience member, told Dr Oz that she was a self-proclaimed sugar addict.
She loved anything sweet. Sweet tea, coffee, pound cake, cookies—you name it, and she’s eating it.
Doctor Oz explained that when you eat sugar for breakfast, you get a spike in energy and then a dip until lunch. You eat sugar for lunch, the same thing happens until dinner. This spike and dip goes on all day. Coconut palm sugar does not give you the highs and lows. Coconut palm sugar has the same calories but curbs the cravings so you’re not eating all the time and you lose weight. Use this product just like sugar and measure out for your recipes.
Dr Oz Coconut Palm Sugar Cupcake Recipe
Dr Oz invited Vinny Buzzetta and Cammy Picciano from Staten Island Cakes to bake using coconut palm sugar. Vinny told Dr Oz that he had never worked with the all-natural substitute before but was impressed with its sweetness and its ability to mix well with the other ingredients.
Vanilla Coconut Palm Sugar Cupcakes with Raspberry Jam Filling
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar
12 tbsp softened unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup raspberry jam
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the baking powder, baking soda and flour.
3. In another bowl, mix together the soft butter, salt and sugar.
4. Mix the eggs into the the butter bowl one by one along with the vanilla.
5. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter bowl alternating between it and the buttermilk.
6. Mix until the ingredients are combined but not overmixed.
7. Fill your cupcake sheet with batter.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
9. Make the chocolate ganache by bringing the heavy cream to a boil, mix in the salt and pour the hot mixture over the chocolate while whisking.
10. Let the ganache cool down at room temperature.
11. Meanwhile, fill your cupcakes with the raspberry jam by putting jam in a pastry bag (or my mother always used a ziploc bag and just cut a small opening in one corner).
12. Finish off the cupcakes by icing with ganache.
Coconut Palm Sugar Almond Chocolate Chip Blondie Recipe
Dr Oz’s guest, Vincent Buzzetta, next gave a Blondie Recipe that also uses Coconut Palm Sugar.
1 stick unsalted butter (melted, slightly cooled)
2 cups coconut palm sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the baking powder and flour in a bowl.
3. In a pan, melt down the butter and let it cook for 5 minutes so that it begins to brown.
4. Let the butter cool off a bit, and then mix in the eggs, extract flavorings, salt and sugar. Whisk with all your might!
5. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and add in the chocolate chips and nuts.
6. Pour the mixture into a well greased 9 inch pan that is also lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes.
8. Let the blondie cool for a minimum of 2 hours before trying to take it out and cutting it into bars.