Dr Oz: Replace Carbs with Zucchini for Fewer Calories
Dr. Oz and his guest Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien are diving right in and telling you how you can Eat Twice as Much and Lose 5 Pounds. Lisa says her concept of Food Expanders is the key to eating more food without adding extra calories to your plate. She promises if you follow her simple food expander guidelines you will lose 5 pounds this month, even during the holidays, with foods like her Hungry Girl Meat Expander.
Hungry Girl: Spaghetti Squash & Quinoa Pasta
Many people have lost a large amount of weight while following the Hungry Girl Guidelines to expand their food. Two women who have been successful shared their favorite ways to expand two dishes they enjoy most often.
- Spaghetti and Meatballs – Substitute half the spaghetti for spaghetti squash. It will bulk up the volume of your dish without the extra calories while leaving you feeling full and satisfied.
- Pasta Salad – Replace the pasta with quinoa. Quinoa is loaded with fiber, so this will not only give you less calories than pasta, but it will also fill you up.
Dr Oz: Portobello Mushrooms Hungry Girl Meat Expander
Portobello Mushrooms – They are meaty in texture and can bulk up so many meals, making them a great expander for your favorite meat dish. Here are some ideas; also check out Lisa’s Portobello Mushroom Recipes.
- Burgers -You can make a double “burger” by making a traditional meat patty and adding a Portobello mushroom as the second patty, so you have all of the flavor, but not so many calories.
- Pasta Bolognese – Lisa Lillien says this is just like a traditional Bolognese, but you replace some of the meat with portobellos, so you still get the delicious flavor and pasta, but not the same amount of calories if the dish was made entirely with meat.
- Steak Fajitas – Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien says to cut Portobello mushrooms into strips that resemble the steak strips in this fajita dish and nobody can even tell the difference. Dr. Oz was even stunned by the visual appearance, commenting that they look very similar.
- Meatloaf – Lisa says to replace part of the meat in your meatloaf recipe with a heaping cup of mushrooms to bulk it up.