Dr Oz: Symptoms of Protein Deficiency
Dr. Oz says he gets questions all of the time about how much and what kind of protein is best to eat, so today he is sharing his new guidelines for you to follow. Protein is essential to good health and the right amount can even give your skin and nails a beautiful appearance as well as help you to lose weight, but too much can put a dangerous strain on your organs, so Dr. Oz says it is about finding the right balance. Surprisingly, though, he says the problem in America is not with getting too much protein, but rather not enough protein, which can have an effect on your health.
- Muscle loss
- Slow metabolism
- Weight gain
Dr Oz: Protein Eating Guidelines
Dr. Oz is basing his new protein recommendations on cutting edge research that centers around a 25-gram formula. This means you need to get 25 grams of protein at every meal, or 75 grams per day, to avoid feeling weak and tired while helping you to build more muscle. Dr. Oz says the key is to spread it over the course of the entire day because eating a huge steak at dinner is not the healthy way to get in your daily protein grams.
Dr Oz: Surprising Sources of Protein
Dr. Oz says there are many sources of protein that you may not be aware of and he revealed them so you can add a few new items to your next shopping list!
- Baking Potato: 5 Grams of Protein per potato
- Bison: 20 Grams of Protein per 3-ounce serving, similar to ground beef with less fat.
- Cottage Cheese: 28 Grams of Protein per cup
- Quinoa: 4 Grams of Protein per 1/2 cup and great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Protein Bars: Good to have when you are on-the-go, but make sure the main ingredient is protein. Also look for bars that contain no added sugar, no trans fats, and are made with all-natural ingredients.
Dr Oz: Whey Protein Powder Review
- Gives you energy
- Helps suppress appetite
- Helps control blood sugar
- Fast-acting, long-lasting
Dr Oz: Whey Protein Powder Guidelines
- Buy Organic (preferably) Whey Protein Powder
- Eat for breakfast within 30 minutes of waking
- 1 scoop per serving equals about 25 grams of protein and 90 calories
- Add to water, juice, or your favorite smoothie recipe
Dr Oz: In Case You Missed It
- Eat Purple Foods every day, like potatoes or grapes, just make sure they are not the only foods you eat.
- Chew Hot Dogs thoroughly because they pose a dangerous choking hazard.
- Eat 25 grams of protein in each of your big meals every day.
Dr Oz: Aspirin Health Benefits
- Bug Bites: Dissolve an Aspirin in a small amount of water and rub on a bug bite to relieve inflammation and itching.
- Hair: After swimming in a chlorinated pool you can get the “green” out of your hair by dissolving 6-8 Aspirin in a glass of water and rubbing the mixture into your hair for about 15 minutes to bring back the natural color.