Dr Oz: Bobby Deen From Mama’s Table to Mine
Dr. Oz talked with Bobby Deen about his Mom Paula Deen and her diagnosis with Type 2 Diabetes. It inspired Bobby to come up with his Meal Makeover Essentials that you need in your kitchen to create healthier versions of your favorite dishes. Now he is going to share a slimmed down version of one of his Mom’s favorite comfort foods. Is it your favorite too?
Dr Oz: Lean & Light Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Bobby Deen, author of From Mama’s Table to Mine, is ready to share how he turned one of his Mom’s favorite comfort food recipes into a healthy dish. Chicken Pot Pie is also one of Dr. Oz’s favorites so he was eager to see Bobby’s makeover. Bobby explained that Chicken Pot Pie is typically pretty rich and unhealthy when it is prepared in the South, but his version is much better for you with way less fat and calories.
Dr Oz Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
Here is what you need:
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast – cooked and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice-cold water
Dr Oz Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Instructions
Here is what you need to do:
For the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spritz a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet and cook over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until completely combined.
- Pour in the chicken broth and milk, whisking slowly to combine.
- Cook at a simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Whisk in the cheddar cheese until melted, then add in the chicken, peas, and celery salt. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie plate.
For the Crust:
- In a small bowl, use a whisk to combine the flour and salt. Stir in the oil with a fork.
- Knead in just enough water until the dough barely holds together.
- On a lightly floured countertop, roll out the dough to a 10-inch circle.
- Carefully place the crust over the filling in the pie pan and tuck in the sides.
- Slice two vents in the top of the crust and bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Calorie savings – Mama’s Classic Recipe= 495 Calories and 27 Grams Fat, Bobby’s Version= 239 Calories and 10 Grams Fat