Dr Oz: Healthy Fried Chicken Recipe
Dr. Oz invited his viewers to create healthier versions of their favorite comfort foods because you should not have to sacrifice your health to eat the foods you love.
Healthy Fried Chicken – Normally fried chicken contains 560 calories per serving, but Lisa bakes hers without the skin and uses non-fat buttermilk for just 105 calories per serving!
Dr Oz: Healthy Mac & Cheese Recipe
Usually Mac & Cheese contains around 690 calories per serving, but Dr. Oz’s next guest, Daphne, lightens hers up by using whole wheat pasta and replaces the cheese with blended cashews. This version only contains 349 calories per serving!
Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pound whole-wheat macaroni
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
- Breadcrumbs (optional)
Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe Directions
- In a blender, puree the water, cashews, miso, salt, garlic, onion powder, lemon juice and vinegar until smooth and creamy.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Pour in the macaroni and cook according to the package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, make a roux in a medium saucepan by whisking the oil and flour over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the cashew mixture and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Gently toss the pasta with the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and parsley, if desired. Enjoy.
Dr Oz: Healthy Potato Chip Alternative
If you love potato chips as much as Dr. Oz’s next guest, Zoey, then you probably know how easy it is to eat the entire bag, which contains around 150 calories per serving. Here is a healthy alternative.
- Substitute potatoes for Brussels sprouts. Peel the Brussels sprouts and sprinkle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and bake until crispy. The best part is they only contain 78 calories.