Dr Oz: Fried Food Recipes Made Healthy
Don’t think fried foods can be made healthy? Think again! On today’s show, Dr Oz was joined by Celebrity Chef, George Duran, to show you how to make your favorite fried foods healthy. Check out how George created mozzarella sticks, fried chicken wings and fish and chips the healthy way. (Stop laughing, he really did!) Plus, if you want to look thinner, checkout Dr Oz’s Miracle Shapewear and his Fat Belly Burners, Green Coffee Bean Extract to burn fat all over or several other Fat Busters!
George Duran recently lost 20 lbs with his healthier cooking. He told Doctor Oz that, believe or not, you could make fried foods healthy with a few tricks.
Dr Oz: Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
The Dr Oz Show went to NYC to LaStrada restaurant to see how they made delicious fried mozzarella sticks. (You could see the crackling of the fried foods-Yum!) In NYC, they loved fried foods but wanted to know how to make their mozzarella sticks healthier.
Better-Than-Fried Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
12 sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
3 tbsp flour
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tbsp water
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/8 tsp chili powder
Non-stick cooking spray
1 cup marinara sauce, warmed
1. Take the string cheese out of the plastic and freeze them for 60 minutes.
2. Place the rack in the oven in the lower 1/3 and set the broiler to high.
3. In a small bowl, put the flour.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and water together.
5. In another bowl, mix together the remaining dry ingredients.
6. Take the string cheese out of the freezer and dip them in the flour bowl, followed by the egg whites, followed by the panko bread crumb bowl.
7. Spray them with non-stick spray like Pam and put them on a baking sheet.
8. Broil them for 1-2 minutes or until light brown.
9. Flip over each mozzarella stick and broil for an extra 1-2 minutes.
10. Let the cheese sticks cool for a few minutes and then serve them with the marinara sauce (if desired).
Regular mozzarella sticks- 1140 calories. George’s non-fried sticks-450 calories.
Dr Oz: BBQ Chicken Wing Recipe
This time, the Dr Oz headed to Ft. Mills South Carolina, where they fry everything. The folks from the area wanted to know how to make un-fried fried chicken wings.
Southern Style Grilled BBQ Chicken Wing Recipe
1/2 cup salt
2 lbs chicken wings, wingtips removed
2 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
For barbecue sauce:
1 8-oz. can of tomato sauce
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1. Heat your grill to medium – low.
2. Soak your chicken wings in a bowl of salt and 4 cups of cold water for 30 minutes in the fridge (this is called a brine).
3. Mix together the remainder of the ingredients in a bowl to create a rub for the chicken wings. Then mix the barbecue sauce ingredients together in a pot and bring them to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat so that the sauce can simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken wings from the brine and pat them to dry. Then mix them with the dry rub so that each wing is coated with it.
5. Grill your wings for 15 minutes on each side or until they are nicely browned.
6. Put the bbq wings in a big bowl with half of the bbq sauce.
7. Grill the wings again for a couple minutes per side.
8. Serve with the extra bbq sauce as desired.
If you don’t have a grill, don’t worry. You can still cook them in your oven on a cooling rack inside of a sheet pan. Broil them on the bottom rack in your oven for 10 – 20 minutes per side (on medium – high heat) or until well browned.
Regular chicken wing-1039 calories. George’s healthy wings- 500 calories.
Dr Oz: Fish & Chips Recipe
In Boston. MA at the Happy Clam Café, they love fried fish and chips because they are “fried to an awesome salty taste.” They wanted to know how to make them healthier.
Oven Fried Fish & Chips
1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup flour
2 (6 oz.) cod filets, cut into 1-inch strips
1 cup Panko style breadcrumbs
Non-stick cooking spray
1 large baking potato (like a Russet)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp kosher salt
1. Place the racks in the upper portion of your oven and preheat it to 450 degrees.
2. Place aluminum foil over a baking sheet and put it in the oven so that it gets hot.
3. Cut your potato into 1/4″ circles. Mix them with the olive oil, thyme, garlic powder, cornstarch and salt.
4. Put the potatoes on the baking sheet (that should be hot by this point), and cook them for 30 minutes (make sure to flip over the potatoes after 15 minutes).
5. Mix together the mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, Old Bay and water in a bowl. Keep adding 1 tsp of water until you get the desired thickness.
6. Place the flour and panko breadcrumbs in two separate bowls.
7. Put the fish into the bowl with the flour, then into the mayonnaise bowl and then into the panko breadcrumb bowl.
8. Put the pieces of fish onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
9. Cook the fish for 6 – 10 minutes on the top rack in your oven. If it is not browned, you can broil it for a minute or so.
Regular Fish and Chips 1580 calories. George’s healthy fish and chips-472 calories