Dr Oz: Lasagna Calorie Swaps
Daphne Oz, Dr Oz’s daughter, took on the challenge to make the Borgna family’s lasagna recipe healthier, saying that “health should be a priority, not an obsession.” She helped to find some smart swaps that resulted in this Oz-Approved Lasagna Recipe. “Once you’re cooking at home, the process of making dishes a little bit healthier is so easy,” she said.
- Swap zucchini for half the noodles.
- Use spices to add flavor without extra calories or fat.
- Mix in a veggie substitute for half the meat.
Dr Oz: Lasagna Calorie Count
The Borgna family liked the Oz-approved version of their classic family recipe, which cut their meal down to 426 calories and 21 grams of fat.
Dr Oz: Oz-Approved Lasagna Recipe Ingredients
- 2 tsp dried Oregano
- 3/4 tsp ground Fennel Seed
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- Spice Mixture (see above)
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Onion
- 2 28-oz cans Tomato Puree
- 2 quarts Ricotta Cheese
- chopped Parsley
- 2 Zucchini
- Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped Celery
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 beaten Eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 oz no-boil Lasagna Noodles
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Olive Oil
Dr Oz: Oz-Approved Lasagna Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Saute ground beef for two minutes in olive oil.
- Add spices and Worcestershire sauce.
- Once meat is browned, saute it with onion and garlic for two minutes.
- Add tomato paste with celery and carrots.
- Stir and let cook.
- Pour in tomato sauce and simmer for five to 10 minutes, to thicken.
- Create ricotta layer by combining egg with mozzarella, parsley, ricotta, and 1/2 your parmigiano-reggiano.
- Slice zucchini on a mandolin and strain with salt to draw out moisture.
- Prepare a baking dish with olive oil.
- Layer pasta on the bottom, followed by layers of meat mixture and ricotta mixture.
- In the next round of layers, use zucchini instead of noodles.
- Repeat this process until the dish is full.
- Top with parmesan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown on top.
Dr Oz: Pizza Dough Tossing Contest
At the end of the show, Dr Oz and daughter Daphne took on two brothers in a pizza tossing contest. Michael and Nicholas Testa are champion pizza tossers, despite their small size and their ages of seven and nine. The kids were showy with their dough tossing talents, and the audience voted the brothers the winners!