Dr. Oz: Paula Deen Lady and Sons Cookbook
Paula Deen came by Dr. Oz to talk about the new reprint of her cookbook The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and share healthy versions of her Chicken-Fried Steak with Cream Gravy recipe and her Tomato Pie recipe.
Check out my reproduction of those recipes below!
Dr. Oz: Paula Deen Chicken-Fried Steak with Cream Gravy Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour (Plus 1 Tablespoon)
- Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 4 Lean Cubed Round Steaks (4 Ounces Each)
- 3 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 3 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Onion or Scallion
- 1/2 Cup Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Milk
Paula Deen: Dr. Oz Chicken-Fried Steak with Cream Gravy Recipe Directions
- Whisk together the egg whites with 2 teaspoons water in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup flour, pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
- Dip the steaks into the egg whites, followed by the flour. In Paula Deen’s old recipe, she dipped the steak in cream, rather than egg whites. The egg whites make this recipe much healthier.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil in a nonstick skillet and bring to medium high heat. Cook the steaks until nicely browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Set aside onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Using the same pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and the onion. Cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes until just soft. Then add 1 tablespoon flour, chicken broth, and milk. Simmer until it starts to bubble, about 3 minutes. Then season to taste.
- Serve the steak with gravy and enjoy!
Dr. Oz: Paula Deen Tomato Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter
- 2-4 Tablespoons Regular or Low-Fat Greek Yogurt
Tomato Pie Ingredients
- 3 Ripe Beefsteak Tomatoes (De-Cored, Seeds Squeezed Out, Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 10 Fresh Basil Leaves (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Scallions
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Regular or Light Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Regular or Light Mayonnaise
Paula Deen: Dr. Oz Tomato Pie Recipe Directions
- First, make the pie crust. Pulse together the flour, salt, sugar, and butter until you have a coarse mixture. Then add 1 tablespoon of yogurt in at a time until the dough comes together. Make sure not to overwork the dough or you’ll have a tough crust.
- Press the dough into a disk and add to a sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Roll the pie crust out on a floured surface into a 12 inch round, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Line a 9 inch pie plate with the mixture and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, up to overnight. Make sure to cover with a little plastic wrap if chilling for more than 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill the pie with pie weights and line up the sides with parchment paper. Prick the bottom of the pie crust a couple of times with a fork.
- Bake pie crust for 20 minutes. Then remove the weights and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Now you’re ready to make the Tomato Pie! Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Drain the tomatoes in a colander in the sink for about 10 minutes to help remove all the moisture.
- Layer tomatoes, basil, and scallions in the pie crust and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir together the cheddar, sour cream, mayo, and mozzarella in a bowl and then spread on top of the pie, making sure to cover everything in a nice, even layer.
- Bake pie for 30 to 35 minutes in the oven until lightly golden brown.
- Serve alongside the Chicken-Fried Steak or enjoy it on its own! Enjoy!