Dr Oz: Immunity Booster Foods
Flu season is almost here, and none of us wants to come down with a dreaded cold. After showing Dr Oz his cancer fighting superfoods, Dr John La Puma revealed three ingredients he said can help you avoid getting sick all season long. Check out their ideas for Tahini Veggie Dip, Pumpkin Puree & a Pumpkin Soup recipe.
Dr Oz: Tahini Immunity Booster
First on the list was Tahini, which is a paste made from sesame seeds. It has the appoximate consistency of peanut butter, with even more flavor.
“Tahini is so rich in magnesium and zinc and healthy protein that it actually helps to activate white blood cells,” Dr La Puma said.
Dr Oz: Tahini Veggie Dip Recipe
You can try it out for yourself with this easy Tahini Veggie Dip recipe. This is a healthier alternative to ranch dip, mayonnaise and other favorites. Two tablespoons has about 180 calories, but Dr La Puma said it’s worth it for the nutrition density.
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Tahini
- Lemon Juice
- In a small bowl, mix ingredients until combined into an even consistency.
Dr Oz: Black Pepper Piperine Flavor Enhancer
Black Pepper contains the chemical Piperine, which helps the human body absorb nutrients in other spices. It works great with Turmeric and can improve joint health while lowering the risk of Alzheimers.
Dr Oz: Ground Oregano Vs Leaf Oregano
Leaf Oregano makes a great pizza garnish. This isn’t the ground formulation; it’s even better. The leaf variety kills bacteria when you chew it. A Cornell study found that this type of oregano killed 30 different germs and works as an anti-inflammatory.
In the store, make sure you seek out the leaf oregano. Look inside the bottle to see whether there are tiny leaves. The ground powder version isn’t as potent.
Dr Oz: Dr La Puma’s Pumpkin Soup Recipe
You can also reap the health benefits of pumpkin with another of Dr La Puma’s recipes, and this one is surprisingly easy. This is high in beta carotene, which is a great immunity booster the body turns into Vitamin A naturally.
- 4 lb Pumpkin
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Onion
- 3 cloves Roasted Garlic
- Preheat oven to 400. Chop onion.
- Carefully cut pumpkin in half using a sharp knife.
- Season pumpkin with favorite spices and bake open side down for 45 minutes.
- Remove seeds and discard (or reserve for other use).
- Combine cooked pumpkin flesh with other ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Mix to desired consistency.
Dr Oz Pumpkin Puree Recipe – Side Dish
Need an immunity-boosting pumpkin dish fast? Try Dr Oz’s side dish version in a hurry.
- 1 can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 teaspoon Butter Alternative (watch out for Diacetyl!)
- Stevia & Cinnamon (to taste)
- Heat these in the microwave until cooked through, about one minute.
- Let stand to cool before serving.