Doctor Oz did a segment about the surprising condition that could be ruining your marriage: ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). Could your spouse have ADHD and not even know? Do you sometimes feel like you are the only one paying attention in your marriage? Dr Oz said that 9 million people have ADHD in America and 75% do not realize they have it. Many people associate ADHD with hyperactive kids who cannot focus in school, but 70% of children with ADHD become adults with ADHD. Some signs include hyperactivity, impulsive behavior, interrupting conversations, not paying attention, and forgetting to pay bills… all of which can lead to trouble at work, in your career and for sure within your marriage.
Causes of ADHD
Genetics – If one parent has ADHD, your kids have 1 in 3 chance of getting it.
Neurology – If you have ADHD, the decision making portion of your brain is usually slightly smaller.
The scary thing is that Dr Oz said that if you have ADHD, you are almost twice as likely to get divorced. Dr Oz brought Dr. Edward Hallowell, author of Married to Distraction, on his show to discuss ADHD. Hallowell said that the spouse can feel like they have another child… so one spouse feels like “the nag” and the other one feels like they are treated like a child.
Dr Oz did a demo to show what it is like to have an ADHD brain. Imagine having a conveyor belt that is moving too fast, so you can’t sort and figure out tasks as fast as things are popping onto the conveyor belt. Take Dr Oz’s ADHD quiz to get some insight into if you have ADHD and have your spouse take it as well. Answer the following statements with 1 through 5, where 5 means very true and 1 means not true at all.
Dr Oz’s ADHD Quiz
1. You have difficulty organizing and getting details in order. For example, if your spouse asks you to go to the store, you bring back the wrong things and forget what you were supposed to get.
2. You don’t remember your appointments or obligations.
3. When a task is challenging, you procrastinate. For example, if you say you will plan a vacation, you might wait until the day before you are going on vacation to plan it.
4. You feel driven by a motor that cannot stop, which sometimes leads to emotional outbursts.
Add up the numbers you scored for yourself for the above four statements. Then find where your score falls in the chart below:
0-5 Not Likely to Have ADHD
5-10 Possibly You Have ADHD
11-15 Suggestively You Have ADHD
16+ Highly Probably You Have ADHD
I personally think that “Possibly” and “Suggestively” are a bit too close in meaning, but I suppose it is just a general guideline anyway. Dr Oz said if you are over 10, then you might want to consider looking into ADHD. Dr Hallowell said that highly independent, entrepreneurial, creative and talented people tend to have ADHD – so you are in good company if you find out you do have this.
How to Treat ADHD
Dr Oz said that if you or your spouse think that you have ADHD, you should see a doctor who has experience with ADHD, especially adult ADHD. Here are some other tips from Dr Oz on ADHD treatments:
– Make lists and write down tasks to help your spouse remember.
– Repetition – repeat things more than once, as this helps people with ADHD.