Dr Oz: Fainting Do’s & Don’ts
Dr Oz did a segment on what to do if someone Faints. It can be very frightening to see a person, especially a loved one or a friend faint. Panic sets in and you often do not know what to do. Doctor Oz went to South Street Seaport in New York City and setup hidden cameras. Then he sent out two actresses: one to pretend she fainted and the other to pretend to be a friend desperately seeking help for her friend who fainted. The first time, nobody around knew what to do to help the girl who fainted. Then Dr Oz repeated the experiment three more times and people like EMT’s and nurses who were around knew what to do. At the end of the day, it seems like only the trained professionals knew how to handle the situation and everyone else just watched and had no idea how to handle the situation.
Dr Oz: What To Do If Someone Faints
1. Call 911 to get help coming and on its way
2. Check for the person’s pulse and breathing. The best place to check for a pulse is in the person’s wrist. Listen for breathing while watching that the chest is moving up and down.
3. Raise the person’s feet 12″ off the ground. When a person faints, it is because their body is trying to get blood back up into the brain. By tilting the person’s feet up 12″, you help their brain to fill back up with blood.
4. Loosen up any tight clothing. Unbutton the top few buttons or rip open the shirt if you have to.
Dr Oz: What NOT To Do If Someone Faints
1. Do not move the person.
2. Do not let the person get up for 10 minutes.
3. Do not leave the person unaccompanied.