Dr Oz did a show called Healthy Habit Backlash to discuss how healthy habits can sometimes have bad affects on your body. For example, fiber is good for you but can cause gas. Garlic can cause bad breath. And red wine can stain your teeth. Doctor Oz spoke about all of these Healthy Habit Backlashes and what you can do to help!
Dr Oz: Fiber Causes Gas & Farts
Dr Oz said that there are many benefits of fiber including the following:
Dr Oz: Benefits of Fiber:
– Relieves constipation
– Lowers the risk of Diabetes and Heart Disease
– Helps with weight loss
However, Dr Oz said that people often complain about gas when they eat fiber. Why does fiber cause gas? As the food hits the acid in your stomach, it passes into your small intestine where it gets digested by bacteria that eat the food and produce gas – which in turn causes you to fart.
Dr Oz: How to Stop Gas
1. Figure out what high fiber foods you are eating and stop eating them temporarily. Introduce foods one week at a time until you can figure out which high fiber foods cause the most gas for you.
2. Try over-the-counter products like Psyllium or Methyl Cellulose, which are high in fiber but create less gas usually.
Dr Oz: Garlic Causes Bad Breath
Dr Oz said that there are many benefits to eating garlic including the following:
Dr Oz: Benefits of Garlic
– Garlic blocks enzymes that lets viruses flourish
– Garlic lowers bad cholesterol
– Garlic lowers blood pressure
However, there are volatile gasses in garlic that can come through your blood stream and into your lungs for up to 3 days.
Dr Oz: Milk Kills Bad Breath from Garlic
Dr Oz said that if you drink some full fat milk after eating garlic, the milk helps to neutralize the odor of the garlic so you can reduce the bad breath from the garlic by 50%.
Dr Oz: Red Wine Stains Teeth
Dr Oz said that there are many benefits of drinking red wine including the following:
Dr Oz: Benefits of Red Wine
– High in Antioxidants
– Prevents high blood pressure
– Increases good cholesterol
Dr Oz said that the acid in wine can scrape off the enamel of your teeth, and it might expose rough patches where pigment can get in and stain your teeth.
Dr Oz: Wine Wipes – Avoid Red Wine Teeth Stains
– Do not brush your teeth right after drinking wine
– Dr Oz showed a great product called Wine Wipes that are made of salt, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and natural things that will clean your teeth after you drink red wine but at the same time it is not abrasive to your teeth.
– If you do not have Wine Wipes, Dr Oz said that using a straw is not a bad alternative.