Doctor Oz said that there could be Hidden Hazards in Your Living Room… do you know what they are? Toxic Furniture, Lethal Light Bulbs and Harmful Fragrances – what can we do to protect ourselves and our families from these dangers in our living rooms?
Toxic Furniture – Formaldehyde
Dr Oz said that coffee tables and other furniture made out of particle board is often glued together with formaldehyde. Particle board furniture is most of the furniture you buy where you assemble it yourself, like Ikea furniture for example. If the furniture chips, the formaldehyde can irritate your eyes and skin, especially if you are sensitive or have asthma. You can keep your furniture from becoming toxic by spraying it with a sealant, especially on spots that get chipped. By using a sealant, you help to reduce your exposure to the vapors the formaldehyde can give off.
Lethal Light Bulbs
You know those energy efficient light bulbs that have a strange twisty tube shape? Well those light bulbs contain mercury, so if they break, they release mercury vapor. So when you unscrew a light bulb, make sure to unscrew it from the base of the light bulb and not from the top of the light bulb. If a light bulb does break, you have mercury moving through your home, so you should open up with windows to air out the house and turn off the air conditioning and heat if you have it on. Also, you should use the sticky side of duct tape to pick up the pieces and mess, because if you brush the broken light bulb, the mercury will become aerosolized.
Harmful Air Fresheners – Air Freshener Recipe
Dr Oz said that the chemical fragrances in air fresheners can be harmful fragrances and can cause irritation to your eyes and skin. Also, your air freshener can block hormones from functioning properly and can cause fertility problems, because air fresheners often contain phthalates. Instead of air fresheners, use beeswax candles or make your own air freshener by combining a few drops of lavender oil, orange oil, or any essential oil you like into a spray bottle of water. Shake. Voila – non-toxic air freshener!