Doctor Oz did a segment on Neck Pain. What causes neck pain? What are the best neck pain cures and treatments? And what can we do to prevent getting neck pain in the first place? Dr Oz said that 2/3 of us will have neck pain at some point in our lives. Normally, your head lies o n top of your spine, like how a golf ball sits on a tee. If the golf ball is pushed off center, and is not balanced on the tee, then this is symbolic of what happens when you get neck pain and there is a change in tension in your neck. Dr Oz said that human head weighs about 10 pounds, but if your head is not sitting straight on top of your spine, then it is as if your head weighs 100 pounds. Ouch!
Neck Pain Treatments
– Ibuprofen & Aspirin (of course)
– Dr Oz said that a great tip for getting rid of neck pain is to put a cold pack on your neck and a warm compress on your chest. Very good to know for the next time my husband or I get severe neck pain.
How to Prevent Neck Pain
– When you sleep, roll a towel and put it inside of your pillowcase but towards the bottom. This way, when you sleep, the towel roll will provide some support for your neck.
– The leading cause of neck pain is stress and bad posture. Are you sitting up straight? Try this neck pain exercise that Dr Oz said was recommended by Peggy Brill, a physical therapist.
The Brill Chicken by Peggy Brill
1. Pull your shoulder blades back towards your spine and put your palms facing out.
2. Repeat the pull your shoulder blade in motion, and go back and forth several times. It does kind of look like a chicken. Cute name Peggy Brill!