Thanksgiving Family Recipe Week
Leave it to Michael Gelman to bring the practical recipes to this holiday celebration. He thinks of everything, you know? Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan stepped into the kitchen with their bossy executive producer, Michael Gelman. Get his family’s Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe and Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce recipe. For more tasty treats, check out Sweet Potato Casserole, Pumpkin Pudding Crunch, and Autumn Squash Soup recipes.
Gelman said he prefers fresh brussels sprouts on the stalk. Just be sure to clean them first. Try to find them in season, and if you can catch them after the first frost, they will be sweeter. (Maybe these are all the reasons I’ve never loved brussels sprouts.)
The cooking plans went awry when Kelly discovered a hickey on Gelman’s neck. But he tried to stay on track as she explained how perfect he is for growing his own herbs and having everything under control.
Live with Kelly & Michael: Gelman Family Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
After tasting the completed recipe, Kelly and Michael agreed that this dish might make believers out of brussels sprouts haters. I’d love to know if that’s true, but I’m not curious enough to try them myself. Let me know if I should brave this one.
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels Sprouts
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sage
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (or 400 if using convection).
- Wash brussels sprouts and discard outer leaves. Let them air dry before cooking.
- In a gallon plastic ziplock bag, shake herbs along with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss in brussels sprouts and shake bag until coated with spice mix.
- Place sprouts on a prepared baking sheet and stick them in the oven.
- Bake for at least 10 minutes. Check to see if they’re done. You want them soft, but not overdone.
- Continue cooking in increments of five minutes, adding Parmesan and pine nuts during the last few minutes.
- Finish with lemon juice and serve.
Kelly & Michael: Gelman’s Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon 5 Spice Powder
- 3/4 lb Cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 cup Walnuts
- Serrano Pepper
- In a saucepan, combine maple syrup, 5 Spice, and orange juice.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and stir in cranberries and Serrano pepper.
- Simmer approximately 10 minutes, until cranberries pop.
- Remove from stove. Finish with walnuts and orange zest.
Talk Show Recaps: November 15 2012
Check out what else happened on your favorite talk shows for November 15.
- Live with Kelly & Michael: November 15 2012
- Dr Oz: November 15 2012
- The Doctors: November 15 2012
- Good Morning America: November 15 2012
- The Chew: November 15 2012
- Ellen: November 15 2012