Dr Oz: Organized vs OCD
Dr. Oz says that while meticulous organization could be chalked up as a quirky personality, in extreme cases it could be a sign of a more serious issue called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD. He asked psychiatrist Dr. Sue Varma to help explain how to know the difference between being super organized and having OCD.
Dr. Varma says organization is a wonderful thing if it adds order and efficiency to your life, but when it starts to interfere with your everyday routine, you might have OCD, which could cause more harm than good.
Dr Oz: OCD Quiz
Ask yourself the following questions to see if you are either really organized or have OCD.
- At what age did you become organized? Those with OCD have usually felt a need to be very organized their entire life whereas organization is usually brought on a by stressful life event for others.
- Do you enjoy organizing? Dr. Varma says those with OCD often feel anxiety when they are organizing, which is a red flag.
- Have you ever been late or missed plans because you were organizing? If so, it probably means that OCD has interfered and prevented you from moving on from a task.
- Has being organized ever caused a fight with a spouse or co-worker? If so, this is another classic sign of OCD.
- Rate your anxiety when you see a messy closet on a scale of 1-5. If you feel a super urgent need to organize a messy closet, it is probably due to OCD.
Dr Oz: OCD Self-Help
Dr. Varma has a few recommendations if you feel anxiety or suspect your extreme organization is being caused by OCD.
- Practice mindfulness and try to be in the moment.
- Exposure therapy
- Distract yourself with something brings you pleasure, like spending time with a friend.
Dr Oz: Sauna Pants Weight Loss Review
Dr. Oz does not want you throwing away your money on expensive beauty gadgets that do not work, so he asked a few fans to try some out and share what they thought.
Wax Vac Gentle and Effective Ear Cleaner – This device makes a lot of noise, but does not work at to remove ear wax.
Smooth Away Hair Removal – This promises to remove hair easily and painlessly, but save your money because it does not work.
Sauna Pants – These promise to make you sweat and help you lose weight. Dr. Oz’s brave volunteer says the sauna pants helped her sweat a lot and she believes it might even help her shed a few pounds if used long term, but Dr. Oz is not quite so sure.
Dr Oz: Funny Doctor Jokes
We all know that laughter is the best medicine, so Dr. Oz asked audience members to share their best doctor jokes.
- One audience member says she always wanted to be a doctor, but she does not have any patience.
- What do you call a doctor that dates two sisters? A family practitioner.
- Why did the skeleton cross the road? Because he had no body to go with.