Dr. Oz: Bone Broth Benefits
Dr. Oz talked about how to fight fatigue with bone broth. A restaurant called Brodo is serving up bone broth in New York City instead of coffee. People Dr. Oz talked to on the street said it gave them lots of energy.
Broth is great for hair, skin, nails, and rebuilding the gut. It’s also delicious and nutritious. Registered dietician Esther Blum said that it’s a good source of hydration, easy to digest, helps your sleep at night, and gives you steady energy throughout the day.
She recommends one to two cups a day instead of your morning coffee. In the afternoon, around 3 p.m., have another cup.
Esther Blum shared her special recipe.
Dr. Oz: Esther Blum Bone Broth Recipe Ingredients
- 3 Pounds Bones (Cow, Chicken, or Oxtail)
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Large Carrots (Cut in Half)
- 3 Celery Stalks (Cut in Half)
- 2 Onion Onions (Cut in Quarters)
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
- 16 Cups Water
Esther Blum: Dr. Oz Bone Broth Recipe Directions
- In a seven-quart stock pot, add the bones and pour the vinegar over them. Let it sit for 30 minutes. The vinegar will help pull out the trace minerals from the bones and pulls the collagen into the broth.
- Then pour the vegetables in, along with the water and sea salt. Put it on low heat. Make sure not to boil it, because that will destroy the collagen molecules. Cook it overnight for at least 19 hours. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can do this on a stovetop as well.
- Once it’s done, you can strain out the vegetables or leave them in. Make sure to remove the bones, however. You can store them in a Ziploc bag and freeze them. You can use them twice. Bone broth is fresh in the refrigerator for 5 days. But if you go longer, then you should store it in mason jars or an ice cube tray in the freezer.
- Enjoy your bone broth in soups, rice, sauces, or vegetables.
Dr. Oz: Bone Broth to Treat Fatigue
Esther Blum also helped Jewel in the audience overcome her fatigue with the bone broth. She said the bone broth got rid of her fatigue and it helped her the same way coffee would.