Dr. Oz: The Brain Diet
Dr. Oz talked about a new diet called The Brain Diet, which helps treat Alzheimer’s disease before it starts. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia, affecting about 5.1 million people in the United States and the number is rising.
Researchers have spent years studying the role nutrition affects the brain and new studies have found that modifying the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet created a way to help fight the aging of the brain. This study found that following this special diet even just moderately can decrease the risk for Alzheimer’s by 35 percent.
Dr. Oz talked to Dr. Mark Hyman about this new diet. He said that this diet involves some special foods and it’s a good diet for everyone. In the study, they looked at people in senior living and retirement homes. We already know that exercise and cutting out sugar helps, but now we know some brain-healthy foods that can help actually prevent the disease.
Dr. Oz: Eat Green Leafy Foods
First, make sure to eat 1 to 2 servings per day of green leafy vegetables. These are high in folates, which are very powerful in helping fight Alzheimer’s. They’re very good for your brain.
Dr. Oz: Eat Vegetables
Also make sure to have at least 1 serving per day of other, more colorful vegetables like peppers, avocados, and carrots.
Dr. Oz: Eat Berries
You should also make sure to eat at least 2 servings of strawberries or blueberries per week. These are very easy to incorporate in your diet. Poor them over your cereal or else mix them up in a smoothie. Two servings a week can make your brain younger by as much as two and a half years.
Dr. Oz: 1 Serving of Fish Per Week
As a minimum, you should have 1 serving of fish per week because it is full of a fat that’s very healthy for the brain. 60 percent of the brain is made of fat and it’s important to eat plenty of fish to make up for that. You want fish like mackrel, sardines, salmon, herring, and shrimp.
The study also found that 5 servings of nuts is really important to the brain.
Dr. Oz: Drink a Glass of Wine Per Day
It’s also important to drink 1 glass of wine per day because wine is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Inflammation of the brain causes the brain cells to die, so wine is key to fighting that. But make sure to only have one glass. Too much of the wine is bad for you, but a little is good.
Dr. Oz: 90/10 Rule
You should also obey the 90/10 rule. 90 percent of the time make sure to eat well, but the other 10 percent of the time you can kind of eat what you want.
In this study, they found that less than 4 servings of red meat are okay and don’t cause problems so you can still enjoy your red meat. Less than 1/3 cup a week of cheese is also important. 1 tablespoon of butter is also okay. Finally, less than 5 servings of sweets per week is okay.
If you follow this diet more than half the time, you can reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s by as much as 35 percent.