Dr Oz: Ginger Tea Detox
Dr. Oz says he was always taught to treat disease, not prevent it, but he has since learned that a holistic approach is the best way to achieve optimum health. Today he is sharing the holistic ways to prevent the diseases you fear most with help from Dr. Tasneem Bhatia who says holistic medicine is more about treating the person as a whole, rather the disease itself.
- Dr. Bhatia says we need “good” fats in our diet because they help prevent inflammation, which is what leads to disease. Good examples include olive oil, avocado, or coconut oil.
- The next step to holistically ward off disease is by preventing oxidation, which is similar to what happens when you leave a peeled apple out in the open and it turns brown. Dr. Bhatia says you can eat your way to good health by adding foods like beets, red peppers, raspberries, and blueberries to your diet. The darker the color, the better, and three servings a day is ideal.
- The final way to holistically protect your body from disease is by detoxifying, or giving your body a break, every now and then. Dr. Oz Bhatia says drinking Ginger Tea first thing in the morning is a great way to detoxify and prevent disease.
Dr Oz: Tai Chi Lowers Blood Pressure
Dr .Tasneem Bhatia recommends Tai Chi as way to lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health, so she demonstrated a move called Kicking the Right Heel to get you started.
Dr Oz: Best Treatment for Whooping Cough
A cough is one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor, but today Dr. Oz reveals the four most common coughs and how to treat them right at home.
- A Whooping cough can last for several weeks and if caught early can be treated with antibiotics.
- A Dry cough lasts about 10 days and is usually caused by the flu. It can be treated with a cough suppressant.
- A Croup cough sounds like a bark and lasts for about 1 week. Doctors will usually prescribe a steroid treatment.
- A Wet cough lasts up to two weeks and is best treated by drinking tea with honey.
Dr Oz Bonus Tip: The longer a cough lasts, the more likely it is due to an allergy, not a cold.
Dr Oz: The Plank Best Core Strengthening Exercise
Dr. Oz continuing with Jan-YOU-ary, 31 days to a better you, and today he has the one move that will tone your entire body! It is called The Plank and Dr. Oz believes it is the best all-around strengthening and toning exercise. Doing a plank will improve your balance and strengthen your core without the need to move a muscle the entire time.
Dr. Oz recommends starting with a 30-second plank and after a few days (or weeks) work up to doing it for 1-2 minutes.