Dr Oz: Does Pesticide Exposure Cause Learning Disabilities?
The use of pesticides has literally exploded in recent years and Dr. Oz is concerned about how much of these harmful chemicals you and your children are consuming. They are used on more crops and food products than you might realize, and while trace amounts of pesticides in your body will not harm you, they can build up in your system and lead to serious health problems in the future. Dr. Oz enlisted the help of reporter Elisabeth Leamy to get to the bottom of GMOs and pesticide usage in our country!
Dr Oz: GMO Crops Pesticide Resistance
GMOs, or Genetically Modified Organisms, are used in about 80% of all processed foods and are probably in the many of the things you love to eat. According to the Grocery Manufacturers Association, GMO crops require less chemical pesticides, but is that really true and does it make them healthier? Dr. Michael Hansen of Consumer Reports says this claim is absolutely false because he says there has actually been explosion in the use of pesticides since the introduction of GMOs into our food crops. Dr. Hansen says the main reason for this is that weeds built up a resistance to the original pesticides, which led to heavier spraying of chemicals on engineered crops.
Dr Oz: Organic vs Conventional Foods
Dr. Oz shared that in 1999 farmers sprayed GMO crops with about 1.5 million pounds of pesticides. Admittedly, there are a lot more GMO crops today, but in 2011 the amount of pesticides being sprayed had grown astronomically to 90 million pounds! The food industry claims this is perfectly fine and safe, but Elisabeth Leamy took a closer look and what she learned was quite eye-opening.
- Conventional vs Organic Foods contain similar nutritional content.
- Conventional foods contain higher amounts of pesticides.
- Organic foods contain lower amounts of pesticides.
- You can reduce your health risks by 94% if you switch to organic foods and avoid pesticides.
Dr Oz: Pesticide Exposure Health Risks
Dr. Oz took a look at long-term exposure to pesticides and the effects it has on your health. He says 75% of consumers expressed their concern with pesticide exposure, but what can we do about it?
- There is no limit to the number of pesticides that can be combined at the same time on one product, which concerns Dr. Oz since we cannot be sure how they will interact with each other, let alone with our bodies.
- Pesticide exposure has been linked to ADHD and other learning disabilities.
- There is a link between pesticide exposure and birth defects, miscarriage and even some forms of cancer.
- Pesticides could even cause intestinal damage and be linked to food allergies.
Dr Oz: Pesticide Exposure – Who is at Risk?
Dr. Michael Hansen shared the members of our population who are at highest risk for health problems associated with pesticide exposure.
- Pregnant Women
Are you concerned about pesticide exposure for your family? Have you tried buying more organic foods?