Dr Oz: Guilty Pleasures
Dr. Oz asked his audience members to share their favorite guilty pleasures. Here is what some of them shared.
- Red Wine
- Ice Cream
Dr Oz: Daphne Oz’s German Chocolate Cake Recipe
Dr. Oz shared his own guilty pleasure, which is German Chocolate Cake, that his family makes for him every year on his birthday. He says it pairs nicely with his other guilty pleasure, which is pistachio ice cream.
Here is what you need for the cake:
- 1 box of Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 package of instant chocolate pudding
- 1 additional cup of water
Here is what you need for the Coconut Pecan icing:
- 2 (14-ounce) cans condensed milk
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 8 oz pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Here is what you need to do:
For the cake:
- Whisk the cake and pudding mixes in a large bowl with the eggs, oil/butter and water as instructed on cake package, plus the additional cup of water. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into 2 greased cake pans and bake as directed. This cake will be extra moist due to the pudding addition and will continue cooking in the hot pan after removed from the oven, so take it out as soon as a toothpick in the center comes out only slightly moist and with little bits of chocolate cake clinging to it. Let cool in pan before transferring to wire rack or plate.
For the icing:
- Combine all ingredients except the coconut and pecans over a double boiler and whisk constantly to keep the eggs from cooking. Cook until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add in the coconut and pecans and stir to combine. Let cool for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread on cooled cakes while icing is still slightly warm, which will allow it to melt onto the cake and drip down the sides. Leave cake in the fridge to set until ready to serve … or enjoy right away!