Dr. Oz: Broccoli Rabe Cook-Off
Dr. Oz asked three people with “Rob” in their name to compete in a Broccoli Rabe Cook-Off. Rob made his Grilled Broccoli Rabe Bread Salad recipe, a fun spring and summer recipe that will brighten up any picnic or barbecue. Also try Broccoli Rabe Breakfast Panini, Chicken & Apricot Broccoli Rabe, and Agilo e Olio with Broccoli Rabe.
Check out my attempt to reproduce this recipe below! And be sure to let us know what you think of it in the comments!
Dr. Oz: Grilled Broccoli Rabe Bread Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Large Bunch of Broccoli Rabe (Tough Ends Removed; Cleaned)
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Spanish Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin Seed
- 2-3 Mixed Squash, (Cut into 1/2 Inch Thick Rounds)
- 4 1/2 Inch Slices from the Center of a Loaf of Crusty Bread
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Brushing Bread
- Handful of Torn Basil and Mint (for Garnish)
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Pine Nuts or Toasted, Chopped Almonds
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Lemon Juice (to Taste)
Dr. Oz: Grilled Broccoli Rabe Bread Salad Recipe Directions
- Make the marinade by whisking together the Greek yogurt, garlic, salt, Spanish smoked paprika, lemon juice, cumin seed, and red pepper until combined.
- Toss the broccoli and the squash in the marinade. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Brush grill with olive oil and preheat to medium high.
- Grill the squash a few minutes on each side until fork tender and blistered in spots. Remove and set aside.
- Add the broccoli rabe in a single layer and grill until tender and blistered in spots, about 2 minutes. If the stalks start to char right away but aren’t becoming tender, spray with a few drops of water. Remove and set aside.
- Brush each sliced of bread with olive oil and then grill on both sides until golden brown. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Toss the bread cubes, broccoli rabe, squash, toasted nuts, basil, and mint together in a bowl, then spread out on a serving platter and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice on as well to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!