Dr Oz: Sugar Addiction Diet Plan Recipes
After revealing the Sugar Addict Type Quiz, Dr. Oz took time to share his tips and tricks for kicking the addiction without giving up your favorite foods. Top Chef alum and author of “100% Real” Sam Talbot joined Dr Oz to help addicts say goodbye to their addiction. Sam has been a diabetic since he was 12-years-old, so it makes sense that he knows how to make delicious food that is low in sugar.
Sam explained that for him, it’s about balance and moderation. “If I indulge, I try to make it up later in the day,” he explained. Wait until you see the white sugar substitutes that Sam uses on the next page…
Dr Oz: White Sugar Substitutes
The first solution Sam revealed, for a diet lower in sugar, was to use white sugar substitutes. Instead white sugar, try coconut sugar, date sugar, honey, or maple syrup. White sugar can fall anywhere between 75 to 100 on the glycemic index. All of the white sugar alternatives fall between 45 to 70 which means they’re much better for your liver and your body overall.
Dr Oz and Sam Talbot then moved on to talk to a woman who took Dr Oz’s Sugar Addiction Type Quiz and learned she was a stressed out sugar addict.
Dr Oz: Stressed Out Sugar Addicts
Because Michelle is most likely to reach for something sugary when she’s stressed out, she was hoping to kick her habit. She admitted her go-to sweets are chocolate and licorice and she tends to have them every day. Sam explained that it’s all about making smarter decisions to satisfy those cravings in a much healthier way. For Michelle, he suggested his Honey Crunch Granola with Blueberry, Coconut, and Lime. You can find the ingredients for this sweet yet healthy granola on the next page.
Dr Oz: Honey Crunch Granola Parfait Recipe
- 2/3 C hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 C unsweetened dried coconut
- 1/3 C white sesame seeds
- 1/2 C coconut oil – at room temperature (solid)
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime zest + 1/4 C fresh lime juice
- 3 C uncooked regular rolled oats
- 2/3 C dried unsweetened blueberries
- 1/2 C coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 C raw honey
Get the directions on the next page…
Dr Oz: Honey Crunch Granola with Blueberry, Coconut, & Lime Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin seeds, oats, blueberries, coconut flour, dried coconut, sesame seeds, and salt
- In a small saucepan, melt the oil with the lime juice and honey over medium-low, stirring often, until it comes to a simmer
- Pour the sauce over the oat mixture and stir until combined and coated fully
- Spread the granola on two large rimmed baking sheets for 20 minutes, until golden-brown, stirring once
- Cool entirely on wire racks for about an hour
- Once cooled, stir the lime zest into the granola