Dr. Oz: Kimberly Schlapman Meatball Recipe
Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town came by Dr. Oz to make a great Turkey Meatball recipe from her new cookbook, Oh Gussie! Cooking and Visiting in Kimberly’s Southern Kitchen. She loves making food that’s good for everybody, but it does take some planning ahead, especially with her busy tour schedule.
Kimberly Schlapman said she’s been cooking with her mom and her grandma since she was a little girl. Her mother taught her that food is how she takes care of people. She said that’s why she wrote this cookbook because she wanted to help others find connection through cooking in their families.
Check out my attempt to reproduce this recipe below! And be sure to let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments!
Dr. Oz: Kimberly Schlapman Turkey Meatball Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Cup Torn Sourdough Bread (From 6 Slices; Crusts Removed)
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey
- 1/3 Cup Pecan Pieces (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
Kimberly Schlapman: Dr. Oz Turkey Meatball Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Soak the sourdough bread in the buttermilk for about 1 hour.
- Set a plastic bag in a bowl and combine turkey, pecans, bread crumbs, parsley, onion powder, garlic, basil, egg, salt, and pepper. Zip it shut and mash everything together through the bag. This will keep your bowl clean. It’s something kids can even do!
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Using your hands, work the turkey mixture into meatballs and set on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes in the oven until dark golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite tomato sauce or use them to make a sandwich.