Doctor Oz did a show to give us (Doctor Oz’s Fans!) the 411 to avoid 911. Do you know what the biggest hazards are in your backyard? Would you know what to do if someone slipped and fell outside because of the wet slippery ground from sprinklers or the swimming pool? How about if there was a fire when you grilled out on your barbecue grill?
How to Treat Slips & Falls in Your Backyard
1. Stabilize the person who slipped and fell. Do not let them get up or walk around – they should remain lying down for 3 minutes.
2. Check for signs of bleeding around their head especially. Place a towel behind their head to stop or minimize bleeding.
3. You must keep the person awake for at least two hours, because otherwise the brain can swell and kill the person.
4. If the person is disoriented and / or bleeding, call 911.
Dr Oz said that even one concussion can cause recurring headaches and early dementia. There is a very good reasons that pools always have signs that say no running! Be careful when you walk around a pool or on wet ground.
How to Put Out a BBQ Grill Fire
1. Turn the gas off immediately but turning the gas knob clockwise. I always remember this by a rhyme that I learned in elementary school: “righty tighty, lefty loosy” which means that if your turn things to the right, they get tight – and if you turn things to the left, they get loose.
2. Always keep a fire hydrant around.
Be safe this summer and lets try to avoid backyard accidents!