Doctor Oz did a segment on Celiac Disease with Elisabeth Hasselback, author of The G-Free Diet. Elizabeth Hasselback said that even if you do not have Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivity, eating a gluten free diet can help you to shed pounds. Dr Oz also brought a lady named Amy on his show, who was recently diagnosed with Celiac after being told she had IBS for a long time. Finally, her doctor noticed that her tongue was unusually shiny and found that she was anemic and deficient in magnesium and zinc – which led them to test for Celiac Disease. Amy knew absolutely nothing about gluten. In fact, at the time, she thought gluten was a type of pudding!
The G-Free Diet Plan
You should avoid or carefully read the ingredients labels for the following:
– wheat pasta
– blue cheese
– deli meats
– bacon bits
– instant coffee
– beer (a brand called Red Branch is gluten free though)
– dressings (look for Amy’s or Annie’s brand, which makes gluten free salad dressings)
– peanut butter, jelly jars, butter (all of these things can get contaminated by other people in the house who make sandwiches or get crumbs inside the container)
– lotion (if your hand lotion has gluten, and you touch your food, you can be adding gluten into your diet).
Dr Oz said that if you have Celiac Disease, you just need to eat 1/8 tsp of gluten to get sick.
The following are good foods to eat:
– Dove soap & Burts Bees chapstick (both are gluten free, but obviously should not be eaten!)
– Amy’s gluten-free soups
– Coffee in pure form (not instant)
– Green Tea
– Gluten-Free Pasta (which is better for you in terms of nutrients)