Dr. Oz reviewed the causes of hiccups and how to cure your hiccups quickly! He called on lucky seat 40 (Jamie) to help him.
When you get the hiccups, your diaphragm (the muscle underneath your lungs) starts to spasm, which pulls down on your lungs, and the epiglottis (the skin that is behind your tongue and closes over your windpipe) closes, all of which create the hiccup sound. The real culprit behind hiccups is air in your stomach. Therefore, the most common triggers for hiccups are:
1. Eating too much – this makes you swallow a lot of air, because you always swallow air whenever you eat.
2. Carbonated beverages (like soda)
3. Drinking too much alcohol
So what home remedies work best to get rid of your hiccups?
1. Stand on one leg (either your right leg or your left leg), hold your nose with one hand, and jump up or down.
2. Drink a glass of water upside down.
The reason both of these cures for hiccups work is because if you can store carbon dioxide, it soothes your diaphragm out.