Dr Oz: Dr Andrew Weil’s Holistic Secrets
On today’s show, Dr Oz invited Holistic Guru, Dr. Andrew Weil, to give his all-natural ways to lose weight and prevent cancer. Today’s entire show was an hour dedicated to all-natural cures and included Dr. Weil’s cancer fighting super meal and Dr Oz’s kit to lose weight naturally.
Dr Oz: Huperzine A (Chinese Moss)
1. Brain: Huperzine A (comes from Chinese moss.) This product is most effective in the early the stages of Alzheimer’s. It comes in a highly concentrated compound, which is why some believe it should be considered a drug.
For the best effects, take 300 mcg per day. Dr Oz and Dr. Weil suggested checking with your doctor first before taking this product.
– Phosphatidylserine- This product is also good for memory retention. For best results, take 200 mg per day.
Dr Oz: Red Yeast Rice Extract
2. Heart: Red Yeast Rice Extract- This all-natural product is one that Dr. Weil takes and is good for genetically lowering HDL. Contains a mixture of statins and is less likely to have side effects. This product works as well as pharmaceutical statins. Take 600 mg 2x per day.
– Niacin- The American Heart Association says this product is good to start off with. Take 500 mg for extended release at bedtime. Niacin raises good cholesterol. Use under a doctor’s care. Be proactive and ask your doctor to look into it. Dr. Weil stated that you may turn beet red when taking this product so it’s best to take before bedtime.
Dr Oz: Psyllium Husk Fiber
3. Digestion: Psyllium Husk Fiber- Drink plenty of water with this product. Add it gradually or you’ll get a lot of gas and pain. Dr Oz says it takes about a month to get up to the 40 g of fiber that you should be getting in your diet. While food is the best way to get the fiber, take this product if you can’t get to the recommended dosage (40 g).
Dr Oz: Vitamin A for Immunity
4. Immunity:Vitamin A- Dr. Weil warned to not take retinol because it accumulates in the body. Take a mixture of carotenoids (15 mg):
-Vitamin C 200 mg per day
-Vitamin E-400 IU per day
-Selenium- a trace mineral- 200 mcg per day
– COQ10 120 mg per day. Take this with a meal. The gel form is easiest for the body to absorb.
Your multivitamins should have all of these elements, except for COQ10. Check the label.
Dr Oz: Life Balance Breathing
5. Life Balance- Dr. Weil’s book, Spontaneous Happiness, talks about finding the balance of life.
-The gratitude journal- during day, make mental notes of things you have been grateful for. Write them down before you go to bed. In 1 month, your mood will be lifted. The key is to feeling grateful and expressing it.
– Life Balancer Breathing- Do the 4-7-8 technique
Breathe in nose for a count of 4
Hold for 7 seconds
Breathe out for 8 seconds
Do for 4 breath cycles, every day 2x per day. This process takes less than 20 seconds and helps to slow the heart rate and lower blood pressure.