Dr Oz: Rocco DiSpirito Now Eat This! Italian Review
Now that Rocco DiSpirito has shared some of his best ideas for rescuing failed attempts in the kitchen, along with his recipe for healthy sour cream, get ready to write down his recipe for healthy hot dogs because you will want to make them tonight!
Dr Oz: Rocco DiSpirito’s Italian Hot Dog Recipe
Chef Rocco DiSpirito, author of Now Eat This! Italian, says that you can turn any dish into a healthier alternative by simply removing the bad ingredients and replacing them with good ingredients. Many people love hot dogs, but they are not healthy, so Rocco has an alternative that you and your family will love!
Here is what you need:
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray because every tablespoon of olive oil adds over 100 calories
- 4 Links of Lean Turkey Sausage
- 7 Garlic Cloves, sliced thin
- Medium Onion, sliced into strips
- Red Pepper, sliced into strips
- Green Pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small can chopped tomatoes, no fat or sugar added
- Whole Wheat Hot Dog Rolls
Here is what you do:
- Preheat the oven to Broil
- Coat a large skillet with the cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and turn occasionally to cook until they are browned on all sides. Move the sausages to a plate and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic to the skillet and cook just until it starts to brown, about 1 minute. Add the onion and peppers and cook until the peppers soften, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add the sausages back to the pan and simmer until they are fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
- Open the hot dog rolls and cook them under the broiler until they are lightly toasted. Place each roll on a plate and top with 1 link of sausage and ¼ of the pepper and onion mixture. Enjoy!
Dr Oz: Hot Dog Calorie Comparison
- Original Hot Dog – 560 Calories and 32 Grams of Fat
- Rocco’s Hot Dog – 291 Calories and 11 Grams of Fat